Dr. Barbara Sloat, a leader in Canadian chiropractic treatment, dedicates her career to educating others – specializing in training for individualized treatments. Sloat believes that everyone should live life at the highest level and that chiropractic care can assist that.
To those who are unsure of the practice, Sloat provides five reasons for pursuing chiropractic care:
- Chiropractic care is a generally safe and effective treatment for acute lower back pain.
- Research shows that chiropractic treatment is helpful in reducing both neck pain and headaches.
- Repeated visits to a chiropractic clinic can maximize your overall health, by unblocking nerve energy and allowing it to flow better throughout your entire body.
- Chiropractic adjustments can improve the poor posture brought about by long hours spent sitting at desks.
- Chiropractic care can benefit the quality of your sleep – easing aches, pain and stress that may awake you during the night.
Encompass clinic offer several services dedicated to individualizing treatments; our health care professionals adapt their treatments for what is needed by the patient.
At Calgarychiro.com we like to keep up with the cutting edge techniques in treating sports related injuries, physiotherapy and sports medicine. One of our newest tools in our arsenal is our shockwave therapy
What is shockwave?
Shockwave therapy is the process of sending acoustic waves through the tissue. This causes a controlled micro-trauma in the affected tissue. This micro-trauma essentially re-injures tissue on a cellular level, and results in the break down of scar tissue that has built up in the area.
Benefits of shockwave?
Shockwave therapy has been shown to have faster healing and pain relief as well as faster restored mobility. It is non surgical and requires no pain killers making it totally noninvasive. This treatment is great for treating conditions such as tennis elbow and tendinitis of the knee, shoulder rotator cuff pain and Achilles and hamstring tendinitis.
If you would be interested in discussing shockwave therapy please do not hesitate to visit our website.
Today’s world is very different from the generations before. More and more of us spend many hours every day in a seated position. This includes driving, sitting at an office desk, at a dining table or in your comfy chair at home.
This sedentary change in life style can lead to constant back pain.
Here are 4 suggestions on how you can help relieve this back pain and obviously if you the problem still persists you can contact us at encompasscalgary.com.
We offer a variety of treatments from massage, Active Release Techniques, electrotherapeutic modalities and rehabilitation exercise.
A strong back has strong stabilizing muscles. Try to work out at least twice a week. Lower back exercises will strengthen the abs and legs which will in turn help support your spine. Not all exercises will be beneficial though and each person will have different needs so please feel free to consult. We can tailor make a rehabilitation program for you.
Healthy Balanced Diet:
Excess weight will put more stress on the spine. Alleviate this stress by following a healthy balanced diet. Consult your physician to discuss your options.
Bad posture will most certainly lead to back issues down the road, especially with the amount of sitting that the average person does in a week. Try to sit stand straight and sit straight whenever you are seated and try to take regular breaks from sitting.
Correct Posture Standing
Keep shoulders back
Use your abdominals to keep your body upright and staight
Bend your knees very slightly to ease pressure on your hips
Correct Posture Seated
Head straight and not tilted
Keep your shoulders back and relaxed.
Knees slightly bent with feet flat on the floor
Know your limits:
Do not try to lift heavy objects if your back can not take the strain. It is not worth it in the long run. If you do have to lift heavy objects, in say your job, always bend your knees and lift with your legs not your back.
Knee injuries can have a major impact on your everyday life. Everything from sport to simple walking involves your knees and any injury can make your daily routine seem like a struggle, whether it be climbing the stairs or even sitting in the car, knee injuries can be debilitating
Here are some quick exercise tips to keeping your knees healthy and of course if you are having issues do not hesitate to contact encompasscalgary.com to book an appointment with one of our great staff members, we have many years of experience and offer various techniques to treat common knee issues such as Graston technique, Active Release Techniques, IMS, and rehabilitation exercises.
Now back to those exercises and a quick disclaimer. Please always check with your doctor before partaking in any exercise and if any of the below exercises hurt do not do them. The saying no pain no gain is not to be taken literally 🙂
Exercise 1 – Lunges:
- Stand upright with your hands by your side. You can also use dumbbells by your tinned food cans by your side. With your palms facing your body throughout the movement, lunge forward as far as you can with your right leg, bending your trailing knee so it almost touches the floor.
- Use the heel of your right foot to push your upper body back to the starting position. Do the same again with the opposite (left leg)
Exercise 2 – Squats:
- Stand with feet shoulder width apart.
- Slowly sit back as if you were sitting into a chair. Keep your head up, back straight and your glutes (bottom) out.
- Keep lowering yourself until your hips are aligned with your knees. Ensure your knees are not pointing past your feet.
- In one explosive motion push yourself up through your heals until you are back in the starting, upright position.
Exercise 3 – Single Leg Glute Bridge:
- Lie down on your back and raise one leg in the air.
- Push upwards (forward) and raise your hips up off the ground as high as you can go.
- Slowly lower yourself to the floor.