A sports taping guide can help athletes apply the proper taping method over their injuries or prevent them from occurring. Research shows that expertly applied taping can significantly reduce the potential for injuries during training and sports activities.
However, athletes must consider various factors to minimize their potential for injuries, such as seeing a Calgary physiotherapist.
Let’s explore the dos and don’ts of sports taping.
Dos of Sports Taping
- Prepare the Skin: Clean and dry the area where the tape will be applied to ensure proper adhesion. Avoid applying lotions or oils that might reduce the tape’s effectiveness.
- Use the Right Technique: Understand the taping technique required for the specific injury or support needed. Follow precise instructions to achieve the desired level of support without compromising circulation or movement.
- Apply with Tension, Not Tightness: Maintain a consistent tension while applying the tape but avoid overtightening. The goal is to provide support without causing discomfort or impeding blood flow.
- Test Range of Motion: After taping, ensure the taped area allows for the necessary range of motion required for the sport or activity. Perform gentle movements to confirm comfort and functionality.
- Secure the Ends: Securely anchor the ends of the tape to prevent premature peeling or loosening during physical activity. Using adhesive spray or tape anchors can enhance the tape’s longevity. A Calgary physiotherapistmay be able to help with this process.
Don’ts of Sports Taping
- Don’t Apply on Hairy Skin: Taping over excessively hairy skin can reduce the tape’s adhesion and cause discomfort upon removal. Shave or trim the area if needed.
- Avoid Wrinkles or Folds: Ensure the tape is applied smoothly without wrinkles or folds. Imperfections in the tape application can compromise its effectiveness and irritate the skin.
- Don’t Overuse or Depend Solely on Taping: While taping provides support, it’s not a standalone solution. It should complement other injury management strategies, such as proper rest, rehabilitation exercises, and professional medical advice. Hire a Calgary physiotherapistfor treating injuries and pain.
- Don’t Ignore Skin Irritation: If the taped area experiences itching, redness, or irritation, remove the tape immediately. Persistent irritation might signal an allergic reaction or sensitivity to the adhesive.
Encompass Calgary Provides the Best Sports Professionals for Symptomatic and Functional Wellness
Encompass Calgary has a team of sports professionals that work diligently to alleviate painful symptoms associated with injuries. Our chiropractors, massage therapists, and Calgary physiotherapists can help you recover optimally from your ailments.
Book a session today and explore our range of services for your individual needs.